How to Remove Hair Clogs Without Corrosive Chemicals
Chemical drain cleaners are tempting as a quick fix to drain issues. However, as any good plumber can tell you, they should be avoided. Over time, these drain cleaners corrode pipes and can turn a minor problem into a major one.
There are better ways to remove hair clogs. What’s more, you probably already have all the necessary materials in your home.
Use Baking Soda and Vinegar
The gentlest solution is to use a mix of baking soda, white vinegar and boiling water. The chemical reaction of the baking soda with the vinegar loosens drain clogs without damaging your pipes. Here’s how to proceed:
1. Carefully and slowly pour a pot of boiling water down the down the drain
2. Then pour a cup of baking soda and a solution of 1 cup water and 1 cup vinegar down the drain
3. Cover the drain with a stopper and let sit for five to 10 minutes
4. Flush the drain with boiling water
Sodium hypochlorite, better known as bleach, is a common household chemical. It’s also highly basic, which means it has the useful property of dissolving hair, which is acidic. Here’s how to unclog your shower drain with bleach.
1. Slowly pour a cup of bleach down the drain
2. Rinse off any metal surfaces with a small amount of water so that the bleach doesn’t damage them
3. Give the bleach about half an hour to work, then flush with hot water
Remember to always use protective gloves when handling bleach.
To eliminate any unpleasant odours, pour lemon juice down the drain after using either of these solutions.
Use a Drain Snake
If neither method worked and you don’t mind getting your hands dirty, you can try to remove the clog manually. Using a drain snake is generally best left to professionals but hair snares and similar products
can be found at a hardware store.
If you have an especially stubborn clog on your hands, then your best bet is to call your local plumber to fix the issue.
Your 24/7 Plumber in Vancouver, Burnaby, Langley and Beyond
For an experienced plumber who can remove clogs and resolve any other plumbing issues quickly and professionally, count on the team at Hillcrest Plumbing & Heating. We also have a plumbing supply store on Main Street in Vancouver. Contact us today for anything from a routine inspection to emergency repairs.